Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shaadi ???


Some of my friends from college are getting engaged or married. Until before, we just felt like grown ups living independent lives with newly found jobs. A lazy bachelor, wearing unironed shirt to work, living in an unclean apartment, feeding on pizzas (or anything readily available). But now that my friends are tying their nuptial knots, I wonder and ask myself "Are we that old?" A sudden gush of thoughts fill my mind. And I am pretty sure these questions have crossed your mind too.

Am I ready to get married? I am just 24...but what if I am 27 and just like the way I am right now?...wait a minute, if at all I were to marry, would I marry the girl I am dating right now? Yeah, she is very nice, takes care of me. May be not, she can be too demanding. But she understands me. Though, I don't understand her sometimes...oh shit, my expenses would just double up after marriage. I won't be able to stay out late at night, plus I won't be able to come home drunk. But thats the whole idea, she will give some stability and organisation to my life . Does it mean I will have to take a bath every morning and mute my farts? C'mmon, thats the way sophisticated people live. (After weeks or years of thinking and n number of relationships) Okay, I think I could marry this girl. But what about mom and dad, would they approve of my choice forgetting the burden of log kya kahenge (what would other people of the social circle say)?...or should I listen to them and agree for an arranged one? Atleast I won't have any expectations from her. Mmm...i don't know.

This is just a glimpse of what may be inside your head when you think of getting married. But seriously, this shaadi ka laddoo is a complicated affair. It reminds me of something what one of my cousins (who i really look up to) told me once that one should marry only when he/she thinks its the right time. False expectations, parental pressure, etc. are going to make things just worse.

See, I was happily editing and uploading my photographs I took today and enjoying funny videos shared by my friends on facebook until few minutes before. And now, trying to find answers to questions which have puzzled generations over and over. Anyways, cheers to my friends who resign their bachelorhood and step into a new journey of life.

My best wishes to you and your partner.


3 comments:

  1. so many thoughts in your mind (some unwarranted, i guess due to peer pressure??!!?!?! I mean when did you ever get back drunk? :P)
    But by the way your thought process is these days, i guess your time is up my friend. I shall eagerly await the invitation card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not my voice, this is junta ki awaaz...:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously are we really that old now? Anyways you have already pondered a lot on this matter, but i guess everyone sooner or later has to eat this laddoo..... There is no escape, especially when u r an Indian :)

    ReplyDelete